TA Camping are participants in the Amazon Associates Program, We are informing you so that if you decide to purchase any of the Amazon products listed on our site we may be eligible to earn from our recommendations. All the products listed are tried and tested by myself and are part of my personal Kit.
My Personal Gear
This is just some of the main gear I use to go on my camping trips. I have always said, make sure you buy gear recommended by those who use it NOT from someone who just sells it!
Osprey Europe Men's Atmos AG 50 Backpack
- This is the best Rucksack I have ever owned. It's got an Anti-Gravity suspension - so feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack. It's got top and bottom entry points which is great for storing your sleeping bag or even your tent to pitch first. Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment allows you to stow your poles in steep terrain or whenever you need your hands free.
This has to be one of the best features of an adjustable hip belt that pulls out to fit even big lad's waists like mine, You can alter the Shoulder straps for those with different size backs as you need to carry it on your hips. There is also an internal hydration reservoir sleeve that can accommodate up to a 3L reservoir.
Another great feature of this backpack is the removable floating top lid. On a couple of camps, I have not needed this Top Lid so it stopped at home or I store it in the main compartment. All in All, this backpack is really well-made and has never let me down.
My First Backpacking Tent
Vango Banshee 300
The latest Vango banshees have really developed well over the years and the resent tent uses a ProTex RS Flysheet that's real Durable fabric, with a ripstop weave providing 13% more strength.
They are waterproofed to 5000 mm Hydrostatic Head The poles are Yunan Eco so are very light and pre-angled and made acid-free so provides massive strength in high winds. It also has the brilliant Vango TBSII Tension Band System which is an internal guy-frame ensuring the tent’s performance and stability in adverse changeable windy weather. If I was on the top of kinder scout in the high wind this is the tent I would use.
The Vango Line-Lok guy line runners secure guy locking that provides simple release and great performance in all conditions. Fastpack tent bag that looks a little strange with its oversized opening and compression straps but makes packing when your cold and wet and carrying a lot easier.
Now Part Of My Personal Gear
A Tent For All Seasons
Opalus 3 from Naturehike
This is my NEW all Year round tent when Camping with the Wife or Son. Why a new tent? Simply put, space and shelter. So in the winter months or if it's raining, we can cook inside the vestibule or porch. When cooking indoors please make sure you use something non-toxic (See Fire Gel Cooking in the video section).
I have seen this used in 70 miles an hour winds in a (sheltered position) on top of Kinder Scout in the Peak District, I have also seen it in torrential rain and also the snow at the bottom of MT Hood in New Zealand and it has held up to the elements, and most of all it's affordable
My Tarp Shelter
DD Tarp XL (Multicam) - 4.5m x 3m - Lightweight Tarp/Basha
With this Tarp you can build many different configurations of shelter..
The setup you see here can easily hold up to 4 Men and their Gear comfortably. The Tarp has 19 tough reinforced attachment points: 16 around the sides and corners, and 3 along the center (ridgeline).
It's made from 190T polyester with PU 3000 mm waterproof coating and has a taped central seam. The Tarp size is 3 m x 4.5 m and the Weight comes out at just 1120g (excluding the pegs & guy lines)
Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net
- Durable & Reliable Hammock Constructed of fairly durable 210T Parachute Nylon, tear-resistant, breathable, quick-drying, and easy to clean, Triple-Stitching and ultra-strong nylon straps provide reliable support to reduce pressure points. The Camping Hammock Unfolded Size: 94.5 x 47.2 inches, which can carry maximum weight up to 198 kg (440lbs). Super Lightweight & Portable - Weighs only 1.5lbs (Includes 2 carabiners and 2 nylon tree straps). The stuff sack sowed into the hammock can be used to hold your keys, sunglasses, bottles, etc. The hammock can be folded into the stuff sack, making it easy to take with you anywhere.
My Winter Sleeping Bag
Snugpak Softie Elite 4 Military Sleeping Bag
- TEMPERATURE RATING (Comfort: -10°C / Low: -15°C) - The Softie Elite 1 sleeping bag features our exclusive Softie insulation to give an exceptional warmth to weight ratio
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COMPACT (Weight: 1950g / Packsize: 22cm x 16cm) - The Softie Elite 1 feature our exclusive Softie insulation to give an exceptional warmth to weight ratio
- BUILT IN EXPANDA PANEL - Equipped with Snugpak's specialized EPS (Expanda Panel System) the Softie Elite Range can transform from 80cm wide into a cool and spacious 92.5cm wide for big lads like me at just under 118 K.
My Summer Sleeping Bag
Snugpak Travelpak 2 Sleeping Bag With Built-in Mosquito Net
- Temperature rating - Comfort 36 degrees F / Low 27 degrees F
- Built-in roll-away mosquito netting provides protection from insects and seals the sleeping bag when not in use
- Inside zipped-pock to hold valuables
- Low pack size and weight and comes with a compression stuff sack
- Treatment discourages the growth of bacteria and results in a reduction of odors and the need for regular laundering
Mil-Tec Ripstop Poncho
This could be one of the best pieces of kit you will ever own. I have used these in military service plus camping in general. The great thing is if it's used for backpacking it covers both you and your backpack it may not look pretty but is effective.
Also, this can be used as a shelter by itself or as a Wind brake in conjunction with my DD Tarp XL - 4.5 meters x 3 meters above!
My Backpacking Chair
Lightweight and compact design (Holds my 19 Stone Body)
HARD-WEARING and EASILY TRANSPORTABLE: Made from 7075 aviation grade Al alloy and 500 Denier Cordura fabric, this chair can hold up to the max weight of 100 kg. It’s compact size 38X13X15 cm and weighs less than 1 kg. This chair comes with a shoulder strap and is easy to take on any outdoor excursion.
- SATISFYING COMFORT: This chair has that homey comfort leaned back position that you've been searching for; lounge in during your picnics, camping trips, kids games, days at the beach. With this chair, you can now take the comfort of home anywhere.
- EFFORTLESS SETUP: The lightweight and compacted design make it easy to pull the chair out of the carrying bag and fold-out. It's perfect for a swift sit-down at your favorite camping site. Also, it comes with a shoulder strap.
My Bow Saw
Lightweight and compact
This is just right for Backpacking it's made by M.F.H of Germany. it's an all-metal buck/bow saw Collapsible! The saw disassembles so all the components can be transported in the handles which double as a storage tube.
Small packable size Blade length 320 mm Overall size open/assembled 40 x 19 cm (approx) Hardened saw blade It's a great saw when space is at a premium.